PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How to really make a living out of Instruction
Old 27th Apr 2006, 06:10
porridge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up How to really make a living out of Instruction

How to really make a living out of Instruction - or I how I learnt about Microlight Flying from that!
Recently I have been training a Microlight Instructor for a FI(R) on fixed wing and I was amazed to learn how much he claimed he made out of Microlight instruction. I subsequently did some research on the British Microlight Association website (http://www.bmaa.org) and it would appear that instruction is charged out for PPL flying at £60 per hour or more by these instructors who are mainly owner-operators. As they probably pay very low rates to operate out of the airfields used by Microlights; their fixed costs must derisory compared with operating at licensed airfields. As I was told that most Microlight instructors can expect to fly around 600 to 700 hours a year it seems to appear that a fairly comfortable living can be made in the of the industry, and certainly much better that their counterparts in the GA world of PPL flying on C150’s et al. There are also the opportunities to make money out ground school and tests which I reckon would be around 20% what would made on the flying instruction. At that rate who needs an airline job?
Perhaps I am wrong – any comments?