PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA747 3 engine LAX-LHR article
View Single Post
Old 26th Apr 2006, 17:12
stagger

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No a 747 does not start on 3 engines. But we are comparing a 747 starting on 3 with a twin. The fact that the quad originally had 4 is not really relevant when it comes to calculating the probability of a future failure.

Even though the thread title is "BA747 3 engine LAX-LHR" some of you seem to have missed that I was considering a 747 on 3, not a 747 on 4, and this has led to some misunderstandings.

Secondly, if what you seem to be trying to argue were to be correct, then a 747 would be more likely to experience two engine failures on a flight than a twin jet would be to experience one. Are you really saying that?
No I did not argue that.

I wrote that, all else being equal, a quad (that's flying on 3) is 50% more likely to experience 1 engine failure than a twin (on 2).

It's quite straightforward - but whether this difference is important depends entirely on the consequences of an engine failure in each case.

GGV - I suggest you think about it.

3 engines vs 2 engines

3 engines that can fail vs 2 engines that can fail

An analogy...

3 lottery tickets vs 2 lottery tickets = 50% more lottery tickets

This an extremely basic probability issue - I don't see why people have such trouble grasping it.

All I am suggesting is that before embarking on an extended flight over the North Atlantic it needs to be considered that the quad (on 3 engines) is 50% more likely to experience an IFSD than a twin on 2. This is just one factor to be considered - there are of course many others.

Last edited by stagger; 26th Apr 2006 at 17:39.