PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Best method of approach and landing a PA28-180 Cherokee
Old 26th Apr 2006, 12:00
FlugWeasel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Genghis the Engineer
65 knots for a -181, 64 knots for a -140, 63 knots is for a -161 (assuming that any of us can peg a speed that accurately!).
POHs recommend an initial approach speed of 75 knots for a -181, 74 knots for a -140 and 70 knots for a -161.
Most of my PA28 hours are in -161s (about 90 hrs on type), and I've found that trimming with 2nd stage of flap to 70, then holding a maximum of 63 on the yoke (reducing to about 58 lightweight and solo) and selecting full flap over the hedge (or a bit earlier if high) works for consistently neat landings.
What one should never do imho on any PA28 is approach fast, save in very gusty conditions onto a very long runway.
G
Not sure I agree on the caution on approaching fast. That is exactly what you need to be thinking about.
If it is gusty and strong you should consider using less flap or a flapless and flying a faster final to match new stall parameters. You will need to use more runway of course.

Strong gusty crosswind is comfortable up to the demonstrated maximum 17Kt if you are careful about the choice of flap. Lots of dipped wing and land upwind wheel down.