PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates (EK) Interview - all you need to know about it (threads merged)
Old 26th Apr 2006, 08:43
Outta Heresoon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I tend to agree with Cerberus.

There are many pro's and con's of life here in Dubai. You will no doubt be able to find both sides with the links provided by the gents here. If you truly do have a content lifestyle where you are, but are in search of the "Big Iron", unless you are running away from something there, within a short period (this definition depends on the individual) you may well have asked yourself "why was it we came again?"

The aircraft are nice, the routes are interesting, and generally the guys you fly with are a great bunch, but it's not home and will never be. With only a wife, you will be able to live a reasonable lifestyle as long as you have enough already soaked away for retirement. With young children in the American school system here forget it, but then again unless they get into aviation they will be able to support you in later years.
Accomodation, as already mentioned, is a crap shoot. Remember the attitude of Accomodation Dep't (an oxymoron if I've ever heard one !)"if you don't like where you are, take the allowance" but again dip deeply into your own pocket to come up with something better. They do not routinely entertain moves here. Only HR can force that one, and that seems rare. The exception to this is Silicon Oasis recently but again trade offs.

Once you leave the States you will forever live a nomadic life as to return there will undoubtedly be at the bottom of a seniority list in the right seat. My family and I would unquestionably prefer to be back home even earning less cash and flying smaller equipment, so long as I was treated well and had confidence in management.

Best of luck to you Iflyg4 and all those others reading this for insight.