PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Parliamentary Questions concerning Hercules Safety
Old 26th Apr 2006, 08:26
nigegilb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Parliamentary answers

Mr. Hancock: To ask the Secretary of State for Defence if he will make it his policy to advise relatives of deceased armed services personnel to seek independent legal advice before signing pensions contracts; and if he will make a statement. [64040]
20 Apr 2006 : Column 769W

Mr. Touhig: Dependants of deceased service personnel do not have to sign a pension contract to receive death benefits from the armed forces pension schemes. The benefits are paid in accordance with the terms of the appropriate pension scheme. The only requirement is for the dependant to confirm they are an eligible beneficiary and to sign a claim form to that effect. The Ministry of Defence already advises in its explanatory armed forces pension booklets that, if individuals require financial or legal advice regarding pension matters, they should seek independent advice.

DEFENCE

A400M Aircraft

Mr. Hancock: To ask the Secretary of State for Defence what discussions he has had with his counterparts in other countries on the merits of fitting a fuel tank inerting system to the A400M aircraft. [63224]

Mr. Ingram: The A400M does not come fitted with a fuel inerting system, although a portable removable on board inert gas generation system is available as an option. My right hon. Friend the Secretary of State for Defence has not discussed the fitting of a fuel tank inerting system to the A400M with his counterparts in other countries. Officials have discussed the merits of fitting such a system with counterparts in other countries. The UK will make a decision in due course on whether to fit the system to our A400M aircraft.

Maybe if the MoD had discussed the merits of fitting foam to Hercules ac with our good friends the Americans we could have saved an ac. Seems the Flight International article was either wrong or the Govt is now back peddling. I have other info saying that we did reject fuel tank inerting. I also believe that widows and relatives should be provided with legal advice. I now wonder if the pensions clause is valid.