PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Just TROLLEY DOLLIES?
View Single Post
Old 26th Apr 2006, 08:14
TightSlot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Posting as a normal CC, not a Mod...

I've been flying for 26 years now - I think after a while you reach a sort of Zen-like state with regard to abuse and weird passenger behaviour.

A lot of people dislike us for various reasons, sometimes justified, sometimes not. Many people don't understand our primary reason for being on board, and others do understand but don't care anyway. Most people think all male CC are gay and most females are sluts. Some of each are, some aren't. People often believe we are stupid, again, some are, some aren't.

Sometimes CC behave in a manner that simply doesn't help the cause: They become a different person when the uniform goes on and behave in a way that they believe is appropriate for the job/uniform rather than in a way that reflects common sense and courtesy. The best crew behave naturally and exactly the same, whether in or out of uniform, both to colleagues and customers. You can't fight the whole human race if it thinks one way and you think another, nor can you change perceptions in one go. A pleasant and understanding manner, combined with a reasonable explanation will usually work better than yelling the rules at somebody or endlessly picking them up on minor indiscretions.

As to whether it is all worth it? In my time, I've been to places, and seen and done things that most people only think about from home. I've worked with people that have made my life and work a pleasure, and eventually married a CC. I've trained and mentored young people an watched them develop from shy and hopeless teenagers into confident and self-assured adults (and good crew into the bargain). There are two people still walking the planet thanks to my part in a team working CPR, and one who sadly isn't. That's in addition to the other medical incidents that were dealt with. There's loads of other stuff - I'll spare you all that - but yes, it was worth it.