PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Recreational PPL possibility in NZ
View Single Post
Old 26th Apr 2006, 07:17
G-KEST

Awesome but Affordable

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Devil Recreational PPL possibility in NZ

I have spent the last seven weeks on holiday in NZ and have enjoyed it immensely. A request for advice from the NZ CAA on the acceptablity of my UK National PPL resulted in rejection due to its not meeting ICAO Annex 1 requirements. I note in NZ GA magazines that there is considerable support for the introduction of a similar private, sporting and recreational licence along with a degree of frustration on how long it has taken for the CAA to progress the idea.

Any ideas as to why the NZ CAA seems to be taking years to make its mind up?

In the UK we have had the system for some 4 years and it has proved to be a huge success. For example the medical consists of an annual personal declaration of fitness endorsed by your family doctor. Cost for the signature to me is around 70NZD as opposed to around 450NZD for a Class 2 medical by a CAA appointed AME.

As I had a minor heart problem some 7 years ago I meet the medical standard needed in the UK for driving a car. I am permitted with this to fly solo or with another pilot qualified on type, day VFR, single engine piston with a cruise speed of up to 140 knots.

If I passed the lorry drivers medical standard (or passed a satisfactory stress ECG) then I could carry up to three passengers with the same limitations.

Having spoken to quite a few NZ pilots I gather that the introduction of such a licence would brng quite a number of folk who no longer meet an aviation Class 1, 2 or 3 medical standard to come back into aviation.

Any thought from forum members?

Cheers,

A frustrated Trapper 69