PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates (EK) Interview - all you need to know about it (threads merged)
Old 26th Apr 2006, 04:45
Warlock2000

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
g4,

Shake's post is in my opinion honest and correct - if I may, here are few more points to think about.

THE CALLING: You seem surprised to be getting the call with RJ time. I mean no disrespect in the following comment, but the reason YOU are being invited to an interview is simply that EK are VERY short on pilots and no longer in a position to attract guys with "heavy" time only. Crew scheduling is literally taking guys off tomorrows flights to crew todays!

UPGRADES: When the whole DEC saga started, EK offered DEC's a starting salary which was higher than a year 1 Captain, ie higher than an FO who had just upgraded. This, we were told, was to attract the experienced heavy time guys out there to Emirates and to maintain the standard. The truth is that with the rising cost of living in Dubai, applications on a ****y year 1 Capt salary were very, VERY low, so to attract suitable candidates and the package had to be improved. To pay a brand new DEC more than an existing Captain was to say the least a slap in the face and a demeaning gesture not taken lightly by the Captain body. Those DEC's that came took advantage of an opportunity that was presented to them and I'm sure any of us would have done the same. In the same way that you are being called from a RJ position, EK have started employing narrow body (B737 etc) guys as DEC's. The "heavy time" guys have come, seen that the golden apple was actually rotten inside and told their mates!

Some time ago the company formed a "policy" (good EK word meaning nothing) that no transition upgrades would take place. It cost them too much money. If you were a Boeing FO, you would stay a Boeing FO until a Capt slot became available on a Boeing. In the mean time Airbus FO's your junior would get commands ahead of you effectively loosing YOU money. But that's OK, it was cost neutral to the company. Transition upgrades have been re-introduced (Wonder why? It's our policy that we can change the policy). So who knows how long the average time to upgrade will be? My feeling is that with the A380 coming things should pick up.

ACCOMMODATION: Probably the WORST department in the company that will do everything that is illogical in an effort to make people unhappy. To add to Shake's post, FO's with kids get a villa too.

CAN YOU LIVE ON A FO SALARY: Yes, but I wouldn't be dining out too many times a week.

TRAINING:No, not like Cathay. A few rocket scientists out there who feel they need to re-invent the wheel to be noticed, but the majority of guys are down to earth and there to help.

HOW TO GET TO DUBAI: Fly Emirates of course. Take the opportunity to talk to the cabin crew and get a feeling of how they see you - the pilot. Again some good ones, but also some very young kids in the back of our planes with very big ego's. Courtesy and respect can be lacking, especially from males from certain parts of the world which border the Mediterranean. Teamwork is something that is discussed at length in the classroom and endured on the plane. Team spirit is virtually non-existent.

Good luck with you decision.

Last edited by Warlock2000; 26th Apr 2006 at 05:21.