PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates (EK) Interview - all you need to know about it (threads merged)
Old 26th Apr 2006, 01:02
iflyg4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Emirates Help!!

I got an email the other day from Emirates saying that I've been invited for an interview next month in Dubai. I was really excited about it, but after doing some research, I found a lot of people that aren't happy with Emirates. It seems like a lot of people are leaving to go elsewhere. The Emirates presentation that I went to in Atlanta really impressed me, so I'm pretty confused as to the truth about Emirates. I have several questions that I'd like answered from someone with an open mind. My current position isn't that bad because I'm at a regional airline in the US as a IP/checkairman. I'm making about 95K right now, so I'm not in a rush to get out. I just don't have any heavy time and I want to see what else is out there. The majors in the US are crap and I expect there to be many liquidations or mergers to come. Hell, I don't think any of them are going to hire for years and years to come. Continental is hiring, but I see them furloughing in the near future. They are just reacting to retirements. Anyhow, I'm looking for some advice, so anyone's opinion is well worth it. Please, just the facts, I have some important decisions to make.

1. Why is everyone wanting to leave Emirates?
2. What are the schedules like at Emirates? I read on Emirates's website about 8 days off. But I saw a post that said 15 days off.
3. What's training like? Is it like Cathay? As in "do or die" attitude?
4. What's upgrade time? I've heard 3 years, but read 7-9 years. I think Emirates upgrades whoever they want without regards to seniority. True?
5. I heard you guys are worked like dogs? Any truth to the matter? I read many posts about fatigue and lack of infrastructure.
6. I need help with the interview. What books do I need to get? I've looked for the Cathay Interview book, but can't find it!! I've also looked for the Technical Pilot Interview by Gary Bristow and can't find anything. So I need some fast help there.
7. Is Dubai safe? What's it really like? Can you live on FO's pay out there? Is my wife safe while I'm gone?
8. The housing.....I'm really confused about this. If you're a captain.....you're given a villa? And if you're an FO......you're given an apartment in a highrise? I've heard some are crap and others nicer.
9. How do you all think I should get to Dubai? I looked and there's an Emirates flight out of JFK direct to Dubai for 1250 bucks!! Yikes!! Any solutions?

Anyhow, I appreciate some help from you guys or gals that I've experienced all this. Thanks...