PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - commander discretion
View Single Post
Old 25th Apr 2006, 19:56
popay

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

On-MarkBob, fair enough.
For Example: I had to divert into Vienna due to a bomb threat. After the Austrians were satisfied and we were happy, we continued the duty even though it meant we would do three sectors. They tried to tell me I had done 3 1/4 hours into discretion because they tried to apply the FDP for three sectors. They were wrong! The planned duty was for two sectors and since no-one could plan what happened in reality, the duty time allowed, was for two sectors! However, the Captain has to make a decision that requires him to take into account all factors, this of course would include the effects on the crew doing a third sector.
You have just proved what I wrote before. The flight was properly planed within the max allowable FDP. However the unexpected unplanned circumstance, disturbance like bomb threat has forced you into decision while being down the route. That s exactly the scenario I have pictured before. Do I need to say more. Its very much clear that a bomb threat cant be. planed. I fully support that decision. I'd recommend to read a bit more carefully while you read the posts.

Cheers.