PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CORK
Thread: CORK
View Single Post
Old 25th Apr 2006, 13:41
Tom the Tenor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Westcorkman, can you post a link or give a few more details on yesterday's Irish Examiner article? Missed out on it and cannot find it on-line but maybe I am not searching for it correctly even though I have tried. Thanks.

The rugby final in Cardiff must now put more pressure on Cork Airport about the opening of the new terminal. There is a rumor going around that DAA want Cork to open the terminal on 10th May but that Cork is saying no until the finances with respect to the debts are resolved. Cork may just have a point here because if they accept the keys from the builders and open up for business the repayments will then need to begin? As I say this is a rumor but if there is anything to it there is a game of high stakes poker being played out between the CAA and DAA and that the atmostphere between the two bodies may indeed be tense?

What Cork Airport does over the course of the rugby weekend, 20th May, 2006 will be crucial. The airport has one of those unique opportunities to mark the opening of the new terminal. Hopefully, there should be a lot of extra charters in for the Munster game bringing fans over to Wales for the team's last hurrah against Biarritz.

What a backdrop there would be if two or three wide bodied airliners were parked nose in to the new terminal early on the morning of the game! Once in a lifetime opportunity to launch the new terminal in huge publicity. If handled right could work out to be Cork Airport's finest hour! A big if?

Ryanair cancelled their second ORK-DUB-ORK, FR9844/5 rotation today. The aircraft was then assigned to operate the morning FR902/1 to Stansted which is normally flown by a STN based aircraft as the FR901/2. There was a runway lights failure at Stansted last night so a lot of the based FR aeroplanes had to divert and there have been some knock-on cancellations today.

Last edited by Tom the Tenor; 25th Apr 2006 at 14:32.