PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Parachute Dropping
View Single Post
Old 25th Apr 2006, 09:33
NewParaPilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Parachute Dropping

I’ve been offered a “job” as a drop pilot flying a multi piston aircraft for a UK based parachuting school. The deal is I get paid 70 a week to I live on the airfield in a small caravan and I’m on call to fly 7 days a week. I also have to pay for my training up to BPA authorised pilot standard.

It’s expected that I’ll be able to log around 300 hours in a season. I currently only have 220 hours so this will definitely improve my CV and hopefully my chances of a job with an airline next year.

My question is what are the insurance implications of this sort of flying? Like most drop pilots I am not officially employed instead receiving “expenses” for my efforts. In which case I am a volunteer, however the club doesn’t have volunteer insurance. So I don’t have worker compensation insurance, nor am I covered for any mistake I may make. As far as I see it I am completely open to litigation and I have limited recourse should I become injured.

I am keen to move on with my flying career and this seems like a good opportunity, but I am a little concerned about the employment status issues.

Can anyone spread any light on this situation?