PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA747 3 engine LAX-LHR article
View Single Post
Old 25th Apr 2006, 00:10
RobertS975

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rainboe

Sure BA may have 'lost your respect'. That's because you don't understand the problem and how to handle it in a plane like the Jumbo. Avoid them. They will not miss you. You still haven't answered the question- a 747 LAX-LHR on three, or a 777 across the Pacific on one for 3 hours 8 minutes.....which one cowboy? Is the second really acceptable? Ask the FAA why they are creating so much bluster on the first when they authorise the second.
Rainboe, I am but a mere private pilot, but I am a frequent airline pasenger. The 777 that loses one three hours away from the nearest "suitable" diversion point has an "urgent" situation that demands the skill and judgement of the flight crew. But the 747 that loses one of its four engines at the beginning of a 5000 mile 12 hour flight has to be considered to have suffered a significant anomaly. As a frequent passenger, I am surprised that the BA crew decided to continue onward.

I certainly think that the subject merits debate. But I personally believe that continuation of the flight on three engines was not a wise decision.