PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How much to borrow???
View Single Post
Old 24th Apr 2006, 21:58
genius747

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exam fees FAAPPL written & practical, JAACPL (14written exam fees at 60GBP each) and skill test fee, JAAME exam fee, JAAMEIR exam fee

Visa Fees, TSA Fees, Flights to and from the USA. Accomodation expences, food and living, and drinking.

Possibly need to buy a car in Florida, tax, insurance, title and tag. or else taxi's, or if you are really fit and don't mind sweating a bicycle.

When you are hour building if you plan to fly around the states, fuel charges (above what your school will reimburse) ramp fees/ overnight parking fees possibly. Away from base accomodation also if you plan to stay in different places during your hour building.

Also your FAAMEIR conversion cost. At least 7,000GBP.

YOU CANNOT GET A JAA MEIR IN THE U.S.A.

Your Faa IR pack, books, manuals, vfr/ifr charts, headset (expensive one!), rulers, protractors, kneeboard, yolk clip, chart markers, whiz wheel (CRP-5 etc..)about 120GBP another expensive bit of kit! and I'm sure there is more but this is just off the top of my head.

There is some big and small costs here, all just very quick and very rushed, I don't even have time to re-read my post so I'm sure there is mis-spelling everywhere, but I hope it gives you an idea of extra/hidden charges.

Lets not forget those Fuel and Insurance surcharges everywhere also, with that in mind it's worth noting the price for a barrell of oil hit an all time high of $75 today. EXPECT TO PAY FOR THAT TOO!!

PM me for more info. I really hope I'm not putting you off going for the fATPL, just be under no illusions of the cost. IT WILL.....repeat W I L L....be higher than you budget for.

All the best.