PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Parliamentary Questions concerning Hercules Safety
Old 24th Apr 2006, 21:19
rudekid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vage Rot

You're entitled to your opinion, but unless you've seen something different to everyone else about weapon types and a DEFINITE CONCLUSION to the event I think you're misguided. I think you have the wrong information, or drawn the wrong conclusions. I think any further discussion on specifics would be classified and I advise against further release. Get the drift...

I agree with some of your thoughts on the altitude and flight profile but the foam may well have saved the aircraft in this case. Noone will ever know for definite.

More importantly, to my mind, is the possibility that it may save an aircraft in the future. We (as the RAF) have learned some lessons from this sad event, some of which we are implementing, some we are not. As you incontrovertibily point out, everything is vulnerable at some point in a sortie, in whatever profile. With that level of tactical insight, I thought you must teach tactics on the KOCU. Upon checking your profile, I see that you must complete the VEG ROTA. I now understand why you fail to see the issues involved here. It's amazing that people can listen without hearing...

At the most critical point, I would rather have an aircraft with foam than without. It's simple.

I don't think you need to patronise about risk. Everyone understands it. The rotary guys are in a different scenario for tactical implementation than we are. We haven't lost a rotary asset in the same way as the US guys have (hostile fire) unless I'm very much mistaken. Suggest you speak to them and find out more...

I get the feeling you're looking for a controversial bite, rather than informing the debate.

Last edited by rudekid; 24th Apr 2006 at 21:53.