PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Test Pilot Taylor Scott RNR
View Single Post
Old 24th Apr 2006, 21:04
deagles

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sea Vixen

Double Zero, i bet Taylor wouldn't like to have heard you criticise the Vixen in those terms! A tank indeed. Not exactly a Hunter in feel but a surprisingly enjoyable aircraft. I spent many happy hours as one of "Fred's Five" doing aeros in 1962, and Taylor was a member of Simon's Sircus in the Vixen Mk 2 in 1968. Not the nicest control for a deck landing aircraft but had a good brick hen house feel.

Originally Posted by Double Zero
I remember the Meteor & Canberra, the Sea Vixen was in the hangar during our visit, which I must say seemed the best place for it !

My girlfriend's neighbour is an Admiral who flew them, but is obviously of 'fish-head' persuasion, he dumped flying to drive a ship, and reckoned the 'Vixen was like flying a tank.

It did strike me that one must have really p'd off a higher-up to win the place of observer !

I'm afraid I didn't work with your Father, but no doubt saw him.

As for being in the Sea Vixen 'hands off', I rather think I'd decline !

The Hawk there, XX154, was the first one built - as my Father was a foreman at Dunsfold, he got me in as a 12 year old and I sat in it before the first flight ( per ardua ad astra asbestos ) .

I saw it again last year as the Rutland group, present owners of Dunsfold, had it flown in for the 'wings & wheels' display, which I can thoroughly recommend.

If suffering insomnia, my life & hard times are on www.harrier.org.uk/history
- scroll down to 'harrier testing'.

We'll have to sort out something re. the photo's of Taylor, if you're in the West Sussex / Surrey area I wonder if you'd like to come along when his family visit...

Best Regards,

Andy