PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Who is in command?
View Single Post
Old 24th Apr 2006, 18:33
TOGA Descent

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dit
Hi all,I'm currently training to become an airline pilot and whould find it extremely useful if someone could clear the following up for me.
With the long recent discussion over the Ryan Air and Air Arran diverted flights, who is actually in command and has reponsibility for the a/c when:
a)taxiing on a taxiway after landing
b)on stand with the parking brake set
during a bomb threat.
As far as I understand it the Captain remains command when on the taxiway but there appears to be some arguement over who is in overall authority on stand with the parking brake set. If anyone could clear this up for me (preferably with SOP information or JAA/EASA regulations) I would be very grateful.
I don't have my ops manuals infront of me, but from memory it goes like this...
Once the A/c is dispatched, the Captian is in command, and has full authority - park-brake set or otherwise.
This does not change during push-back, except that the Captain is NOT responsible for collision, etc during the push-back process.
Finally, the issue arises... Who is in command during a hostile take-over whilst ON THE GROUND. This is the part where I wish I had my manuals infront of me. I recall that during such a time, Law Enforment agents have authority, which over-rides the captains.
When I get back to my manuals, I"ll verify this (or correct it), but that's sort of how I remember it.
Cheers