PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Quality of instructors; on the way down!!!
Old 24th Apr 2006, 16:02
Sleeve Wing

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
As in the majority of their posts, BEagle and G-KEST turn up trumps again with very sound observations of the present situation.
Also as a current X, I am in constant dismay at the degree of flying acumen shown close to the edges of the envelope in many situations.
These are necessary skills and unfortunately are often not taught properly by a number of instructors to the extent that candidates are sometimes genuinely in fear of demonstrating basic exercises.
Stalling, steep turns, spiral dive recoveries are examples where dubious control technique, poor speed/pitch appreciation and inadequate use of rudder are often barely acceptable.
My own thoughts are that a number of inexperienced (?) instructors tend to rush Exercises 4 to 11 in order to get swiftly onto circuit training and the magic first solo. This results in a lack of appreciation of basic control technique necessary to understand what is happening in later, more advanced handling.
I also teach IMC and aerobatics. Sound revision of all such basics are more often than not a prerequisite to any advancement in the teaching of either of these capabilities.
The reintroduction once again of remunerated PPL Instructors, without the need for professional backgrounds, would indeed fulfil very well the requirement for mature, sound instruction. This would offer the added ability to relate to the level of competence to be achieved (along the lines of a "creamie") without the personal desire, impatience and ambition of a pending "promotion" at the earliest opportunity.
Rgds, Sleeve.