PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Best method of approach and landing a PA28-180 Cherokee
Old 24th Apr 2006, 12:13
Confabulous

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For perspective, I'm 5'6 and haven't have any problems so far. My own opinion is that while peripheral vision may not be able to judge height with accuracy unless you're fairly experienced, it can judge rate of change very easily, and that's what I concentrate on.

For instance, my last approach was fairly high until my instructor pointed it out. I pulled off a fair bit of power and just watched the picture until it looked reasonable (not so high that I'd need to pitch down, and not so low as to get behind the drag curve), then put most of it back on. To be blunt, I have no idea what speed I landed at, nor rate of descent, or anything except the picture I was looking for.

During every approach I'm reminded of Ernest K Gann's comment - 'Aim us at the runway, then hold everything until you feel us hit' - and that's what I do. Makes it seem easy.

One other thing I learned last time - if you think you're going to miss a runway turnoff on rollout, DON'T stamp on the brakes!

Personally I write down every thing I missed or learned during the flight immediately after so I remember it.

Last edited by Confabulous; 24th Apr 2006 at 12:38.