PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A fascinating read
View Single Post
Old 24th Apr 2006, 10:13
Geoffersincornwall

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A fascinating read

I have just discovered a good book. With all the recent posts about civvy SAR and the "re-branding" of Airlog, plus the input from the Nigerian colleagues thought I would draw your attention to this bit of compulsory reading for industry history buffs. It's called "Leading from the Front: Bristow Helicopters-The First 50 years". Those of us that have had the pleasure (or otherwise) of working for 'Uncle Alan' will recognise a few names from the past. It gives a fascinating insight into how one of the most influential rotary wing guys of the foundational generation of our industry came to leave his mark. The link below is for the UK Amazon company but I'm sure there are similar companies in your own part of the world. If you cannot get the link to work then search under "Andrew Healey".

How did Uncle Al get himself 'blackballed' by the Society of British Aircraft Companies?

How did he end up winning the Croix de Guerre in Vietnam?

What was it like to be a 'whale-spotter'?

This and the answer to many more questions in Andy Healey's excellent book. What a pity our industry is now dominated by 'bean-counters' and 'asset managers' instead of real characters.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...551261-5040432

Last edited by Geoffersincornwall; 24th Apr 2006 at 10:28.