PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - commander discretion
View Single Post
Old 23rd Apr 2006, 18:58
popay

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bealzebub, thanks mate. You got your point and I respect that. However you didn't entirely convinced me, as you just keep saying that longer PLANED flight time is an actual thing happening, which I don't agree. My understanding of proper chain of events is: flight is planed, using predicted block time, within max FDP and that is essential. Why else do you need a flight time limitation? That's not the case with flight time of over 12 hours, I hope you'd agree. One possible solution is to fly faster indeed, in other words new flight plan showing less than 11:45 block. Provided the flight is planed within max FDP and there is disruption to an operation through unplanned and unforeseen circumstances an operator may request a commander to consider an extension to the normal FDP, to allow recovery of operational plans Extraction from CAA comments. I cant consider a longer PLANED flight time as an disruption to operation, I'm afraid.
I would consider a longer flight time, while being en route, as unplanned and actually happening if the actual wind was stronger than anticipated resulting in longer flight time.
To make sure we aren't talking about an exception, I had reviewed randomly 6 flights within the last month and they all had a flight time over 12 hours. The average head wind component hasn't been less than 65 knots. That means each and every commander had to use his/her discretion. Another aspect which makes me reluctant to accept your theory is that on the same route with 30 min less flight time another carrier is having two commanders or in flight relief, simply meaning that a FDP longer than 13 hours is anticipated. Following your logic a flight can be planed in excess of max FDP counting on commander's discretion as well as the public time table can be a legal basis of flight planing. Do I understand you correct?
Thanks.

Last edited by popay; 23rd Apr 2006 at 19:30.