PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA747 3 engine LAX-LHR article
View Single Post
Old 23rd Apr 2006, 18:26
JW411

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have no interest in getting involved in the main debate but Rainboe makes a very valid point.

US pilots can't even fa*t without the authority of a despatcher. The concept of a British captain being able to make his own decisions is unheard of in the US of A.

I first came across this phenomena when I was in Transport Command. We used to arrive on USAF bases and were immediately asked for our TDYs. I believe that these were written instructions given to each captain within which it was explained exactly what he could do and what he could not do.

When I explained that me and my crew were loose in HMS Belfast for 18 days on our way around the world and that HM did not require me to carry such instructions. Furthermore, I was expected to know what to do and what not to do without reference to Buckingham Palace every time I wanted to go flying.

Later in life, I spent more than 3 years based at JFK as a DC-10 captain working for a Part 121 operator. I found the FAA re-clearance flight plan system ridiculous beyond words but went along with the charade. However, I did find it extremely strange being in a situation where I could only reclear from 50W to CYQX to KBOS etc etc by discussing the matter with someone in MIA whereas I could do the job myself under Part 135 with just as many passengers on board and with no interference.

The fact is that US pilots are simply not used to being allowed out on their own.

Last edited by JW411; 23rd Apr 2006 at 18:39.