PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA747 3 engine LAX-LHR article
View Single Post
Old 23rd Apr 2006, 10:19
Liam Gallagher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jondc9
I will make it clear:
I have never flown a 747 of any type. Nor have I indicated that I have.
AS to your judgement of losing a generator and going on to KLAS, you were within your rights under your MEL I am sure.

I would have gone back to the gate and gotten it fixed.
jon
and then resigned the next day because it looked better on my CV than being fired.....because....

Eng don't have a spare IDG readily available and their initial best estimate is 6hours to locate, change and test the replacement IDG. Myself and the other pilots then leave the aircraft because we are out of hours. The other pilots, whilst supportive, let it be know they are happy to dispatch; I ignore them as I have 4 bars and they don't. Upon leaving the aircaft I notice the other pilots are on their mobile phones and involved in animated discussions. I worry not and smile politely to the traffic guy who has 381 people after his blood because they are not going to Vegas that night, thereby missing connections, meetings, births, deaths and weddings. Waking up the next morning to read the papers slagging off my airline because 381 people spent the night in the terminal because the 6 hour delay rolled gently into a 14 hour delay and a further 381 in Vegas have had their travel plans disrupted. Check my ansaphone, message cordially inviting me to explain to the Chief Pilot why I did not dispatch iaw the MEL and how I was unable to accept that Boeing can design, build and operate an aircraft for 35 years on studied, reasoned and govt sanctioned principles of redunancy and BA (and numerous other carriers) had operated said aircraft on those tested principles for the same; yet I somehow knew better. I explained to the now Chief Pilot that I only accept aircraft that are faultless and he suggested I work for someone else and wished me every success and said he looks forward to hearing which airline flies such aircraft......because as we all know there aint one!!