PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA747 3 engine LAX-LHR article
View Single Post
Old 22nd Apr 2006, 22:40
jondc9

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
oh jumbo driver

angry...how can you tell my emotional state without the use of the emoticon?

I feel sorry for the BA pilot in question and those of his defenders.

And if it was BEA and not BOAC flying the trident, I do apologize. They all became part of BA didn't they?

And the VC10 business. you guys just love to bring fuel efficiency and money into this don't you? What I meant and what others might infer was that since the engines are next to each other (2 on either side) that what caused one to quit might just cause the other to have problems.

I recall on dark and stormy night that a VC10 managed to lose all of its generators and that very worthwhile organization, the RAF had to come up and guide it to safety. How could they all quit????

Rainboe, you asked which I would prefer the 747 on 3 or the 777 on one. Of course the 747 on 3.

And if the 747 was 4000 miles from london or so, already over the ocean with no land nearby, sure go ahead and continue. If over Africa with thunderstorms at every airport, london here I come.

But, and perhaps this is the hard thing to get over. Your plane was minutes from a perfectly good airport.

Rainboe, yes the American Airlines DC10 was a heck of a crash. American has taken it on the chin about using a forklift to place the engine on the wing. And they were wrong and some 270 people died from it.

Funny how you guys don't mention that L1011 I mentioned before. All rolls royce engines on that one. simple "o" ring. ooops.

I wonder, if the Queen was on a BA 747 and they had lost the engine in the same way, if a landing at LAX or any of a number of airports in southern california would have been in order?

Yes, you are all "long haul" epxerts. And I hope your planes all fly safely without a glitch for the next 100 years.

And since you all seem to know British Airways so well, would you please post the answers to the following questions:

What caused the engine failure?

What caused the engine failure some 3 weeks later on the same plane?

How much will BA spend to defend their actions in any court proceedings that the FAA starts?

Didn't ''they'' say that the Titanic was unsinkable?

I still think BA should have gone back to LAX. Would you guys have made fun of the pilot in question if he had gone back to LAX?

jon

:-) all smiles!

And don't dare make this a bit about the USA vs. the UK. I have too much respect for the brave "FEW" who saved the world from hitler to ever say anything bad about England.