PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA747 3 engine LAX-LHR article
View Single Post
Old 22nd Apr 2006, 20:17
jondc9

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rainboe:

So glad you are chiming in!

I am also glad you are all so experienced in long haul operations. It also seems great that the same plane had another engine problem just 3 weeks later.

British Airways must be quite proud.

As to the fine points of the regulations, you are correct. Fly anywhere you want on a 3 engine operating 747. all quite legal.

BUT it is situations like this that will someday give us the following regulations.

All 4 engine long haul jets that suffer failure of 25% of their powerplants that are within sight of a suitable airfield shall land at said airfield for repairs unless that airfield is under attack or unable to be used because of : earthquake, large mayonaise jars on the runway or any of the following reasons, see appendix A.

At one time I would have gladly given BA high praise and told passengers that it was one of the few foreign airlines that I had respect for.

Not now.

I am glad hand solo has his way with the birds, though his online name would indicate otherwise.

BA, direct descendent of BOAC, the airline that made history with the COMET, the Concorde and automatic landings with the Trident. The airline that should be looked up to for many reasons too numerous to mention...has lost my respect.

I wonder if you would have continued across the pond on a VC10 with one engine out? ;-)

But nimrods aside...

And if so many people were pleased with this situation, why is the FAA bothering with a case they are sure to lose? Even if they lose, perhaps the other pilots faced with this situation in the future will acti differently if only to avoid the bother this might cause again.