PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Safety, incidents, etc
View Single Post
Old 22nd Apr 2006, 17:35
flybywire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by flyblue
I had a similar experience some years ago while I was on duty, when a Cabin Chief accused me and another collegue of not "trusting" our pilots since they hadn't come to check what was the problem we had reported, and hadn't communicated anything about it, as they should have. We said that unless we spoke to the F/D to make sure they were correctly aware of the problem (she had reported what we had said to them) we would fill a CRM report about the incident. At that point she went back to the F/D, and a very embarrassed F/O explained to us that as soon as the problem was reported he realised he had forgot a procedure (excuse me for being vague, but for security reason don't want to post too much information about it) and corrected the problem, but failed to communicate it to us because he didn't want to admit to a mistake. So in his view we should have happily taken off without being sure that everything was fine.
You know flyblue a couple of months ago myself and a colleague had to challenge our flight crew once we landed as we definitely felt something unusual and worrying on our approach. Like you I don't really feel like giving details, but the Captain didn't want to explain and left the F/O (it was his sector) to explain "in his own words" what had happened. At first he came up with something that didn't convince us - we fly numerous sectors everyday on that aircraft and we know what feels normal and what doesn't! Then, after a long discussion, he admitted he had made a mistake and apologised. Apology or not, (we are all human beings after all) why not tell the truth straight away? As crew we have the right to know what is going on!! I am experienced enough and have never panicked even in difficult circumstances, so like the vast majority of cabin crew if I am concerned or if I notice something strange it must mean something!!!

You were very brave to confront your SCCM. I don't know if in our company we have CRM reports, I will have to make some enquieries. It's rare to have such problems like this I have to say, but CRM is no joke as previous accident investigations have revealed, and "that" time might be "the" time something goes completely wrong!!

FBW