PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Safety, incidents, etc
View Single Post
Old 22nd Apr 2006, 17:08
flyblue

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
verticalhold,
it seems almost impossible that such things can still happen, with all the effort the companies are putting into CRM! Well, obviously, as they say, some people are just impermeable to it
Your story is very similar to a textbook one for CRM studies, the Dryden accident and if you read this text you'll understand why.

I had a similar experience some years ago while I was on duty, when a Cabin Chief accused me and another collegue of not "trusting" our pilots since they hadn't come to check what was the problem we had reported, and hadn't communicated anything about it, as they should have. We said that unless we spoke to the F/D to make sure they were correctly aware of the problem (she had reported what we had said to them) we would fill a CRM report about the incident. At that point she went back to the F/D, and a very embarrassed F/O explained to us that as soon as the problem was reported he realised he had forgot a procedure (excuse me for being vague, but for security reason don't want to post too much information about it) and corrected the problem, but failed to communicate it to us because he didn't want to admit to a mistake. So in his view we should have happily taken off without being sure that everything was fine.