PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Safety, incidents, etc
View Single Post
Old 22nd Apr 2006, 15:41
flybywire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Verticalhold that was one amazing incident - possible accident! Thank god nowadays almost all airlines (at least in europe) have quite good CRM courses where Kegworth is analized in details.

I had something similar happening about a year ago but we were on the ground thank god.
As we boarded this jet (an asian airline) I noticed some engineering work was still taking place. I was sitting on a window seat on the right-hand side and could watch some engineers working on engine n4.

That delayed our departure and the captain was clearly feeling the frustration that we were all sharing, and kept reassuring us that we would be on our way as soon as possible.

When we finally started pushing back the crew gave us a safety demo and we started taxiing slowly. It was at that point that I looked outside again and noticed that the engine hadn't been closed properly!!! I don't operate on that specific aircraft but I know planes well enough to realise it didn't look quite right!!!
My story is a happy one as I attracted the attention of a crew member and, in the nicest way possible, I pointed out to him what I saw.
Less than two minutes later we were taxiing back to stand, engineers called back and engine closed properly.

I never underestimate what my passengers say to me re. what they notice on my aircraft. It takes no time to have a look myself and in some cases I felt necessary asking one of the flight crew to come out and give me their opinion.

That problem of the oil leak on the 737-200 though is something I have seen - though not as bad as verticalhold's example - so many times. I remember the first time I saw it I was a young girl and I thought that was the norm!!!

Last thing : Pilots are more than welcome to write on the cc forum and they have always been!

FBW