PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chernobyl Helos and pilots (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 22nd Apr 2006, 11:45
Hidden Agenda

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chernobyl - 20 years on!

Back in 2003 Mike Buckley, who was then on the Editorial Board of “The Log” (the BALPA Publication), was seeking details of those from our community who gave their lives in the aftermath of the events at Chernobyl in 1986.

I noted the following names were recorded on the Chernobyl.info web site:

HELICOPTER PILOTS, perished on October 02, 1986, over unit 4 of the Chornobyl NPP:

VOROBYOV Volodymyr Kostyantynovych (21.03.1956 - 02.10.1986)
YUNHKIND Oleksandr Yevhenovych (15.04.1958 - 02.10.1986)
KHRYSTYCH Leonid Ivanovych (28.02.1953 - 02.10.1986)
HANZHUK Mykola Oleksandrovych (26.06.1960 - 02.10.1986)

I also recall seeing an article in the press many years ago telling the story of a pilot who had spent many hours bombing the power station with concrete as part of the efforts to seal off the exposed radio active core. I posted the cutting over my desk for many months until the paper ‘browned’, and I can’t remember where I put it after I took it down. If my memory is correct he was in Seattle for the treatment of a cancer that was a consequence of his actions. Sadly he died shortly after commencing treatment.

I feel bad that I can’t remember his name (to my great embarrassment I have great difficulty in remembering non-English language names) as I think he does not deserve to be forgotten.

I remember thinking how brave this heli-pilot and his comrades were, and praying that I should never find myself in such a situation.

I would be grateful to anyone who can contribute the names, or links to the names, and perhaps the stories, of these heli-pilots who were at Chernnobyl and to my mind displayed bravery beyond measure.

I think that it would be a fitting tribute to honour their memory twenty years on - Lest They Be Forgotten!