PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 21st Apr 2006, 20:04
cazatou

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shy Torque,

I will have to leave the debate on this subject for the time being for purely personal reasons, but I just wanted to reply to your post #2087.

Quote " Shiney arsed, idealistic. never flown SH, never been in theatre."

"Shiney arsed" - Well yes. When I joined 32 Sqn in 1977 the Sqn was required then, as now, to fly in No 2 Uniform; except on VVIP sorties when No 1's would be worn. My after tax pay then was £200 per month (if it was a 31 day month) - the cost of a new No 1. People got as much use out of their Uniforms as decency (in the legal sense) permitted.

"Idealistic" - Perhaps that's how I achieved an "A" category.

"Never flown SH" - Never made any secret of that.

"Never been in Theatre" - Well, after I passed the message back to our Passenger Mr Callaghan (then Home Secretary) on 14 August 1969 that Troops had been deployed in Belfast I must confess that it was not until 30 Sep 69 that I actually flew to Belfast. Our Passenger was the then CAS whose Son, a Lt in the Life Guards, had been critically injured by a negligent discharge from the rifle of one of one of his troopers.

My 293rd, and last, trip to Aldergrove was on 23 Feb 95. There were, of course, trips to Ballykelly and also Dublin (but I don't suppose Dublin counts as "in theatre").

Au Revoir

Last edited by cazatou; 22nd Apr 2006 at 14:51.