PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Length of CV
Thread: Length of CV
View Single Post
Old 21st Apr 2006, 08:50
scroggs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Look, guys, this is really very important that you understand this: you are not applying for a management job where your CV/resume has to convince the employer that you are better than all the other applicants by virtue of your education and/or previous employment experience. Selection for interview for this kind of job means that you are on a very short shortlist, and your CV has to work very hard for you to get on it. Unlike that kind of CV, which is effectively a personal advertisement, the aviation CV is, as I have already said, a bald statement of experience.

Low-houred pilots like you will generally be applying to large employers who are looking for a relatively large number of pilots. The position you are applying for is effectively an apprenticeship. The employer accepts that you will need a good deal of training before you are ready to fly his aeroplanes, and will take great care in the interview and simulator assessment to ensure that the people chosen have the right qualities for the job. All your CV needs to tell him is that you are qualified to be chosen for that assessment phase, which is where the real selection is done - unlike the management candidates, who to a large extent are selected from their CVs.

The people who deal with pilot recruitment in most airlines are not involved in other areas of company staffing. They have, over the years, developed a system which has been around long enough to be regarded as an industry culture, and part of that is the single-page CV with covering letter. Some companies are so pedantic about this that they will automatically bin any CVs longer than one page without reading them. That is what you are up against.

I am not giving advice here so that I can read my own thoughts in electronic print, I am telling you how it is. I you wish to dismiss my advice and do it your own way, you are of course at liberty to do so. But do you really want to take that risk?

Fortunately for those of you who feel that your lives are worth more than one page, some companies now use a printed or online application form which will allow you to exercise your prose skills and to 'big yourselves up'. Don't get carried away, however; Chief Pilots don't want egotistical baby pilots on their books!

Scroggs