PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spin Non-Recovery
View Single Post
Old 20th Apr 2006, 22:22
Ridgerunner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spin Non-Recovery

Hello all,

A situation which I have heard and thought about several times has been where an aircraft has entered a spin, but the crew have been unable to recover from it. I fly Cessna 152s and Grob 115E Tutors with the UAS, but I have never seen the instructors experience difficulty recovering. I acknowledge that they have much experience of doing spinning, and I personally have never recovered from a spin myself, only had it demonstrated to me, but I don't understand or have been told how you can enter a non-recoverable situation. Are they talking flat spins? Anyone I have asked about this, or at least for the aircraft I fly, say that the aircraft do not go into flat spins, so negating a flat spin what is the problem. Why does a spin only get demonstrated now for the PPL because so many people were dying? What is it that makes the spin non-recoverable? Low-altitude, lack of experience, mis-interpretation of the event?

I would like to be enlightened upon this as I certainly would not practice spinning on my PPL without an instructor, but even at that, I doubt I would do it unless on the UAS with a chute etc and a QFI for the extra safety if this is such a dangerous manoeuvere. I worry that my ability to handle a spin may be impared since I approach the situation with apprehension and have never entered one for practice.

I look forward to the replies,

RR