PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Windhoek SAA air disaster
View Single Post
Old 20th Apr 2006, 21:09
Clive Norton

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Windhoek SAA air disaster

This is my first posting, and I am not a comm pilot or even a ppl, so please forgive me for protocol breaks (I could not find the "spectators gallery"). My question is: Listening to Radio 2000 today, the announcer said there was a SA "Trivia" spot, as follows, as well as I can remember: on the 20th April 1968 an SAA Boeing 707 crashed on take-off at Windhoek. The airplane's name was the Pretoria. He said that there were (from memory) 129 people on board and that only 7 people survived the crash.
Now I was about 16 years old at that time and I distinctly remember the headlines in the newspaper and the photos of the crash, but I must admit that I certainly don't recall that high number of fatalities.
Is there anyone who can give some confirmation or otherwise of that report of the crash? Or alternately point me to a www link?
Thanks guys. Please tell me how to access the spectators place so I don't again blunder in. Your web site is fascinating to be, so I will remain an admirier from the sidelines
Regards
Clive Norton