PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Self Funded Type Ratings
View Single Post
Old 20th Apr 2006, 19:50
AN2 Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by On speed on profile
AN2 Driver, there is a problem with your last statement. Too many pilots are being sold the dream by big training organisations and SSTRs without having a clue what they are geting themselves into! They all start training thinking that buying a SSTR is normal and that is the mis-information we need to stop, maybe by getting rid of SSTRs!

OSOP
Doesn't really matter if we talk pilot schools or diet pills. In the end, it always matters what you want to believe, what dreams you have and that is what the marketing folk will paint in bright colours in front of you.

That is why I think fora like this one are important, because here and elsewhere you can hear the truth about such practices and THEN decide for yourself.

Reaching the goal of being a pilot has never been easy, nor do I think it should be, considering the responsibility a commander carries. Yes, I am worried as you are that in many cases getting there today is a question of money rather than talent. But again, that won't change as long as the perception of the job per se is as high as it still is, despite the continous efforts of many participants here to say the opposite. And until that changes, those who dream of a pilots career, which can turn into an obsession in many cases, will go any way they deem will get them there. Which in turn WILL be exploited by those who make their money with this.

Facts of life. I don't really see what a union or others can (or even should) change about that.

AN2 driver.