PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Type Rating - which type, where, why pay etc?
Old 20th Apr 2006, 15:59
low n' slow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I fully agree with not to do a type unless you have job lined up afterwards.
You're still pretty young in the buisness. How long have you waited?

Take the time you have now to gain that extra experience that makes you sharper in the end. If you know you are a good teacher and you're good at explaining stuff over and over and over and over agian, perhaps try an FI rating. Or try to get an Ops/dispatch job somewhere. This is good stuff when you end up in the front office.

Or if you can, move around and try to find spot that has a local club that does glider towing or parashute dropping. This will build your confidence level in the cockpit and also lets you get some perspective after you''ve completed your training (I sort of take for granted that you dont have heaps of hours). I had the feeling of being invincible after completed training and after some towing I started to get a slightly more realistic and humble attitude towards flying.

I'm not saying this is what you need and I'm not insinuating anything here, but I know a couple of mates who have gone the same way as me and we all agree on that we needed it.

So basically: Take your time, If you start looking for big jets now, what are you going to do later on? This is the part where things get interesting so make the most of getting all that extra experience that you could miss out on by going directly to the big jets. And if you really want to get a TR, my suggestion is for you to look at the smaller regional types out there. Many of the bigger companies are starting to hire more experienced guys and girls and this leaves vacancies in the smaller operations. Some hot types right now are the Saab 340, F50, ATR, Dash 8 etc but make shure you can at least get a 300 hr line training afterwards, otherwise the type is useless.

Regards and good luck/ LnS