PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Self Funded Type Ratings
View Single Post
Old 20th Apr 2006, 12:33
carbheaton

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi all.
Great thread with some excellent posts. I fear there was a missed opportunity with the poll questions though as I would like to know how many of you disagree with SSTR’s but forked out for one anyway as it was the only way forward. I suspect that it’s quite a lot.

I really don’t know why the notion of SSTR solicits such a negative reaction. Some of ye are going on as if we (yes, I’m a SSTRer and proud) have taken food out of your mouth. I’ve never read such drivel in all my days. What makes you think you have an Allah given right to a type rating? I have a friend in NY who has to pay 40 grand a year for tuition in NYU. I happen to think that 25 grand for a SSTR is peanuts. For me SSTR’s have levelled the playing field in that its given me an opportunity to compete with the old school tie. I now find myself able to compete with people who, in the old days, would have wiped the floor with me because of their connections, or more correctly, their parents connections.

Any suggestion that an SSTR is inferior is really insulting to those of us who have gone down that route. It is outrageous arrogance to suggest that a SSTR student is inferior to any other pilot as we got the same training. If your careful which TRTO you choose then you will get the exact same training as the airline sponsored people.

There are numerous ways to get a right seat in this business and how you choose to do it is your business. If you want to wait for the traditional route of airline sponsorship to return, then I hope you are sitting comfortably. If you want to be proactive and go get it for yourself, then good luck to you. Nobody, but nobody has the right to sit and judge those that choose to do either. Funny that the thread is full of people who are moaning about SSTR’s while those of us who have a SSTR are too busy working to contribute to the discussion.

Keep the number of landings the same as the number of take off’s

Last edited by carbheaton; 20th Apr 2006 at 12:58.