PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Training Corps
View Single Post
Old 19th Apr 2006, 21:55
biggles111

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chaps

Having read this thread from the begining I think we should draw a line under it, Yes I realise that every organisation has its posers, and timewasters, I know I met them all in 20+ years as a regular Officer, and as a VR(T) Officer. Both regulars and non regulars have their share, but we seem to be missing the point, where else can a youngster of 13 -18 get free Flying, Gliding, Adventure Training, Shooting, Microlighting, Hang Gliding, & Parachuting. Where can they go on visits to RAF Stations, both in the UK and Abroad? Have opportunities to learn new skills for next to nothing?

90% of this is only be available because of volunteers. Not many people these days want to give up 2 nights a week and most weekends to baby sit someone elses kids, and run the risk of being sued if jonny gets an eyelash stuck up his nose!

You regulars who decry the VR(T) may be steely eyed fighter aces (or not) Who have diced with death over the skies of some foreign city, but you try spending 6 hours a week at some inner city ATC Squadron, dealing with a constant barrage of Parents who are complaining because little Jimmy didn't get to go flying this time, or trying to raise the funds to send a cadet to camp because his parents can't afford the £35.00, or dealing with Social Services because one of your cadets' has trouble at home, or wading through the 60 odd sheets of paper required to send cadets on an adventure training exercise! Sometime I wish for the safety of a cockpit at 450 knots and 50 feet surround by AAA!

The old saying applies here don't knock it until you've tried it! It can be really rewarding, despite the oxygen thieves. However we all have our uses even the useless ones. So come on stop knocking people for trying until you see it from the other side!