PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 19th Apr 2006, 21:37
jindabyne

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi Everyone,

A very few are going around too many buoys I think, but this may be (of no) help ---

I submitted a contribution many moons ago (can't find it at this time of night, pub again) in which I re-called being President of a BoI concerning a Tornado fatal accident off Spurn Head (1985 I think). The crew was attempting, at night, to join up with another aircraft at around 2000ft, and in that procedure flew into the sea. We had no clues for a couple of weeks until a tape from London Radar was offered which traced the track of the aircraft's last two minute flight path - and that of the aircraft on which it was trying to approach. We (myself and the other Board members) immediately 'concluded' that the pilot had become disorientated in the join-up manoeuvre and pointed the jet into the sea.

Without any other tangible evidence from the ADR (which was recovered, damaged) or technical findings from the wreckage, we all remained somewhat 'convinced' that the the pilot 'probably' screwed up. BUT, we had nothing to show that this 'assumption' could be proved beyond reasonable doubt.

Our submission to the AOC (1Gp) was therefore, as referred to in those days, an open verdict; both he and the CinC accepted the Board's finding.

Most people at the time, including most of the squadron aircrew, agreed with my Board's private view. However, there was a 'universal' view that there could be no apportion of negligence. There were lots of other conspirancy theories that could have been concocted (by conspiritors), but none could be substantiated. Ever.

Justice was done, beyond any reasonable doubt.

Regards JB - several memories!

Apologies if I've repeated myself, but what the hell!

Last edited by jindabyne; 19th Apr 2006 at 22:06.