PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Heathrow - Gatwick Helicopter Link
View Single Post
Old 19th Apr 2006, 20:34
Opssys

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ladies and Gentlemen.
I don't usually visit this forum, but noticed the thread title just as I was exiting PPRune. As it is the ONLY Helicopter Operation on which I have any knowledge worth a d*mn, I was intrigued and even more so that there was so much discussion on which companies were involved. As there has been some disagreement, I will try to clarify.
This was a JV and the BAA was the registered operator of G-LINK.
BAH Provided Flight Deck and Engineering and BCAL the rest.
I don't remember a transfer of Flight Deck Crewing to BCALH. But accept by the time this would have occurred I would not have been 'Airlink' aware (other projects).

It was a superb example of a co-operative venture between three organisations, two of which at a commercial level were in a vicious fight.

The licence was indeed limited to the completion of the bits of the M25 that would provide a 'fast link' ( everyone stop laughing) between LGW and LHR.

The Noise Protesters had a field day with complaints even when the Aircraft wasn't flying (normally caused by Army or other Service Helicopters) and indeed they did continue for months after the service stopped.

Bishop Bill (I have been trying to remember his surname - now extremely
annoying as I can't so please help) effectively headed up the Airlink as an Operation and after the Operation Ceased, he was tasked with setting up the BCAL Commuter Operations Unit (which is when I had most dealings with him).
Last heard of (some years ago) as a member of the IATA London Office.

A surprising number of regular passengers wanted the service continued, the companies themselves were at least at operational level enamoured by its success. But the terms of the Licence were strict and of course the Flight Path, however it varied was always going to upset some influential residents, so once the Motorway Network did provide a 'fast link' it was the end!

On a personal note: I am almost certainly the only person who on boarding at LHR fell asleep and had to be woken by another passenger during the disembarkation at LGW (I had been awake and 'working' for 36 hours).
DIH