PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Maintenance Standards
View Single Post
Old 19th Apr 2006, 19:27
ExSimGuy

Sims Fly Virtually

Location: Used to be 3rd Sand Dune from the Left - But now I'm somewhere else somewhere else.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Would it be naive (yes, probably ) to know the airlines who are worse in this respect?

Would "pax pressure" (i.e.- flying with someone else, even if the fare was $100 more, but I'd rather arive in one piece) be enough to wake up the bean-counters?

As a pax these days, I have looked out of the cabin window and seen muddy footprints on the top of the words "NO STEP" - and yes, I'll name the airline - SV

I know the guys don't want to foul their empoyers, who pay their wages, but isn't it a good idea to let the travelling public know when safety is being compromised?

I assume (naively) that the Big Boys operate in a responsible manner, but unless the "customers" know where their safety lies, then there's no pressure to improve.

The airline who I currently fly with most frequently has only had one Hull Loss in recent years, and that was "Pilot Error" (or probably CRM). So I assume that maintenece standards are good (I hope!)

I've worked 24-hour shift, although a flight sim doesn't kill people, but aware that my performance in the last few hours was probably less than 100%

As Le Penn says, it's no good moaning on a BBS, the "authorities" (CAA) have to be alerted to a problem and, if they won't act on it,then the "popular press" need to be wound up to report it to the "customers".

Sorry, but we have to "name names". Even on sims, I couldn't "downgrade" an A-snag (British Airways, 1970's) On REAL aircraft, faulty systems cannot be ignored (and yes, I long for the days of a "real engineer" in the 3rd seat - not that it will ever come back - "P3" on the Trident took care of that one