PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Comair to retire Kulula MD82's
View Single Post
Old 19th Apr 2006, 11:53
George Tower

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
May be Comair are acting - a bit of insider trading possibly by the top brass.....who knows.

I think the issue about the two brands is going to rear its head soon, if not already. In the past I think Comair did well having both as to start Kulula from scratch would have been a good deal harder and more risky. I guess having all the infrastructure in place can be a good thing, BUT if that cost base is too high it can then become a millstone. In terms of where the two brands are at in their business cycles, may be now is the time for them to go their seperate ways,

As far as load factors go it is really all us mere mortals have to go on. Not being close to the action we can't get info on yields but suffice to say they're falling world wide and fuel prices are heading upwards, and consequently I for one find it difficult to see the future of LCC business model using old and inefficient aircraft. 5-6 years ago it would have made perfect sense - fly these old aeries in to the ground (not literally) and fill 'em up, but at 20$ per barrell you could afford to.