PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Parliamentary Questions concerning Hercules Safety
Old 19th Apr 2006, 11:15
nigegilb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another article in today's Times about the crash. Thought the MoD comment was interesting.

“Prior to this incident it was not thought that the aircraft was vulnerable to a fuel tank explosion,” the spokesman said.

I wonder why US Hercs (over 600 on the inventory) and Aus Hercs have ESF then. I have the file reference of a document requesting fuel tank protection in 2002. Also wonder what a former 47 Sqn Flt Cdr (rtd) might think of this statement. He wrote reports pointing out such vulnerabilities. I understand that many RAF Herc exchange pilots who served in US forces also asked for foam on their return to UK. I have been told that a video illustrating the consequences of a round hitting an unprotected fuel tank was shown to Herc operators in 2002. I have been contacted by 3 USAF Herc exchange pilots and they are too kind to say "I told you so" in public. They are shaking their heads in disbelief. I am not sure how far up the food chain the vulnerabilities were known. I guess we will find out in the fullness of time.

Last edited by nigegilb; 19th Apr 2006 at 22:10.