PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Parliamentary Questions concerning Hercules Safety
Old 19th Apr 2006, 08:14
nigegilb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Parliamentary version of answers

Hercules Aircraft

Mr. Hancock: To ask the Secretary of State for Defence (1)what plans he has to fit the new K model Hercules aircraft with (a) the latest generation defensive aids suite and (b) foam in the wing tanks; and if he will make a statement; [57110]

(2) which J model Hercules aircraft have been fitted with (a) the latest generation defensive aids suite and (b) foam in the wing tanks; and what plans he has to equip the remaining aircraft. [57111]

18 Apr 2006 : Column 7W

Mr. Ingram: Both C-130K and C-130J aircraft are fitted with varying combinations of the following defensive aids:

Countermeasures Dispensing System
Directional Infra Red Counter Measures
Flight Deck Armour
Lamp Infra Red Counter Measure
Missile Approach Warning Receiver
Radar Warning Receiver

We have decided, subject to final contract negotiations, to fit some of our C-130s with Explosion Suppressant Foam, and expect the first aircraft fitted to be ready for operational tasking within the next few months.

I am withholding information on the specific defensive aids and survivability measures employed on each C-130K and C-130J airframe because it would risk prejudicing the security of our armed forces.

Mr. Hancock: To ask the Secretary of State for Defence what recent research he has (a) commissioned and (b) evaluated on the effectiveness of (i) the latest generation defensive aids suite and (ii) foam in the wing tanks of Hercules aircraft; and what conclusions he has drawn. [57154]

Mr. Ingram: The Air Warfare Centre continually assesses the effectiveness of current defensive aid suites against current and emerging threats. Specific research looking at the threats to our aircraft, options for protection and air platform survivability measures, is also under way and will, among other issues, review the effectiveness of foam in aircraft fuel tanks. The details of these programmes cannot be released as this would be likely to prejudice the capability, effectiveness and security of our armed forces.

Mr. Hancock: To ask the Secretary of State for Defence when each of the Mk 3 Hercules was fitted with associated defensive aids systems. [57158]

Mr. Ingram: All Hercules C-130K Mk 3 aircraft are equipped with infra-red defensive counter-measures and have been since the early 1990s. In 2003 a number of Hercules C-130K Mk 3 aircraft were fitted with a range of additional defensive aid systems and flight deck armour. The actual number of aircraft so equipped is being withheld as information on the precise combination of defensive aids employed on individual airframes could prejudice the security of the UK armed forces.

Note that Mr Ingram admits that the MK3 was given additional defensive aid systems in 2003. I interpret this to be a DAS and I will be returning to that statement. I also intend to fully respond to RK. Just need a bit more time. Still no word on J numbers for foam. My intention is to increase the pressure on reinstating the J DAS upgrade program. Shopping lists help create a false sense of security for concerned MPs.

One other point, I was tasked to do a handful of daylight runs int Afg. As a crew we agreed to do them but on one occasion my authoriser point blank refused to give us the mission. He threw it back at mission planning and we were not tasked with daylight runs again. His career was not affected neither was his conscience troubled. If authorisers are sending crews into theatre without DAS they are making a big mistake. John Reid himself has said that "Only Hercules with appropriate defensive countermeasures are deployed to operational theatres." RK if you can send me some facts I will pursue it.

Last edited by nigegilb; 19th Apr 2006 at 17:23.