PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas to cut wages up to 50% for aircrew?
Old 19th Apr 2006, 05:35
superfrozo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

The image was neither appropriate, satirical, funny nor did it make any effective point.

DA, I beg to differ...
"satire, term applied to any work of literature or art whose objective is ridicule. It is more easily recognized than defined. From ancient times satirists have shared a common aim: to expose foolishness in all its guises—vanity, hypocrisy, pedantry, idolatry, bigotry, sentimentality—and to effect reform through such exposure. The many diverse forms their statements have taken reflect the origin of the word satire, which is derived from the Latin satura, meaning “dish of mixed fruits,” hence a medley."

This was textbook satire and as for appropriate & funny, these are subjective terms that normally require the individual to decide for theselves. However, yours and others "sacred cow" approach to censorship protected many poor sensitive souls (on PPrune???) from ever having the opportunity to decide for themselves. This was not some image of Christ imersed in urine by a pathetic self-serving "shock-jock artist" in a deliberate attempt to offend. The use of an iconic religious image appears to have clouded your ability to appreciate it's rather clever (again, my opinion) and insightful statement on the inter-relationship of JQ/QF/AIPA. You may wan't to check your facts re: "...the crucified Christ with QANTAS, JETSTAR and AIPA emblazoned upon his body..." JETSTAR & AIPA were not emblazoned on his body, the were the cross that Qantas was crucified on. That was the point. Ergo: Christ was not the object of ridicule.

Whilst I'm on the topic of personal opinions, here's one I consider
inappropriate, childish, not funny and ineffective.
:

That's in pretty f%^king poor taste Schmitt.

Lucky it's not a picture of Mohammed or you'd have a fatwah on you now.
Sound familiar?

Finally, apologies to the originator - I will immediately cease and desist on highjacking your thread. I'm just tired of the book burners who self-appoint on all matters of censorship, especially those masquerading under the banner of "religious tolerance" (oxymoron?).