PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The end of military SAR?
View Single Post
Old 18th Apr 2006, 18:23
[email protected]

Received 627 Likes on 272 Posts
Dillon - as usual you are one of those resposible for turning SAR threads into pissing contests and name calling; however, to address your pedantic points;

1. Compared to a Whirlwind the Sea King is like a space shuttle in terms of power available - compared to a Chinook it isn't - a fatuous answer to a fatuous question - who is it that needs to get out more?

2. Everyone would have liked FLIR sooner than we got it but it is a top piece of kit far more capable than that on the MCA S61s. The crap management of the Sea King fleet in the past and the appalling way long term fundings are juggled in MOD meant that it took 20 years - there is cock-all any of us can do about that, military procurement is an awful process often made worse by political interference. But - in the civilian world, unless the customer specifically requests a piece of equipment and foots the bill, no-one will fit it - the QWIP FLIR has been available for some time, why haven't Bristows fitted it to improve the S61's capability if it is so easy to do in the 'real world'?

3. Yes most of my comments apply to the RAF since the RN cabs are not to the same spec and SAR is a secondary role for both RNSAR sqns - however, if RAF SAR goes civvy I expect RNSAR will go the same way.

4. Why will visiting a MCA base improve my perspective, just because I haven't flown with them doesn't mean I don't know what they do or what their capabilities are. The MCA are doing a fine job in the face of limited training hours and old equipment and I bet they are looking forward to improved capability with new aircraft and kit.

Oh dear how did I manage to answer your post without having to include it all as a quote?