PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair & Air Arran Bomb Threat Diversions to PIK (merged)
Old 18th Apr 2006, 08:46
FullWings

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have to say I don't think much of the "You don't need to know" and "We know better" attitude which some security 'experts' seem to think is the way ahead.

As flightcrew, we try to make decisions using all the available information. If those 'in the know' deliberately withold such information, then logically we are going to come to a somewhat different conclusion and act on it. How can we do anything else?

A bomb threat is either believable or not. If it IS assessed as genuine enough to warrant an immediate diversion, then the first action to be taken after the a/c comes to a halt is to disembark/evacuate everyone as quickly as possible and talk about it afterwards. At a safe distance!

If these sort of incidents repeat themselves, we may start to find information being withheld from the other end, i.e. flight crew will not inform the authorities of the full extent of a problem in case they are mishandled. There is very little an outside agency can do to help those on board an IED-threatened aircraft and that 'help' certainly won't be coming from intercepting fighters...