PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The end of military SAR?
View Single Post
Old 18th Apr 2006, 07:20
Dillon the dog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by [email protected]
SAR has been done for many years with what kit was available, whether in a Whirlwind without a second engine, NVG or FLIR and the ability to just about lift the skin off a rice pudding or a Sea King with all sorts of kit and masses of power - but what cannot be denied is that as the technology has improved, so has the capability and the safety.
How many posters here are actually in current front line RAF SAR and know what the capabilities of the Mk3 and 3A are - not what they might have been 5 or 10 years ago.
Unless you have used our FLIR/MSS - you won't know what a leap in technology it is over the MCA kit - it may have taken 20 years to get it but it was worth the wait.
Regardless of who ends up running UKSAR, there can't afford to be a reduction in capability - neither the MCA or the govt will sanction that, so one way or another either the military will still be involved or the civvy SAR will have to raise their game.
Crab, just a few points:

1. Does the Sea King have "masses of power"? I suggest you get out more!

2. Was it worth a 20 year wait to get FLIR on the Sea King Mk3/3A? Civilianisation allows equipment to be fitted quicker and cheaper as you don't have to involve all the military red tape and IPTs. The baseline version of the FLIR the Sea King uses has already been flying for several years on some civilian machines, including some leased to the UK mil.

3. You keep talking about the military, but I think you mean the RAF, as many of your comment do not apply to the RN Sea Kings.

4. Have you visited an MCA SAR base - I suggest you do .

Regards

DTD