PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chief Pilots potential demise rumours....
Old 18th Apr 2006, 04:21
Datum

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Poor Leadership and Management = Poor Safety Culture

Taken from the Australian Financial Review - Boss Magazine, Vol 7, April 2006, p 64.

"WHAT I AM WORKING ON....

Associate Professor Verena Marshall - Graduate School of Business, Curtin University of Technology.

There is an old saying: 'Doctors bury their mistakes; pilots are buried with them!'...Along with my colleagues Dr Margot Wood (Curtin University) and Dr Robert Dannatt (of Aviation Consultants - Avise and Associates) we are reseraching the organisational factors and managerial processess that impact on safety culture, with a particular focus on airlines. I contend that every crack in an aircraft's fuselage - or error made in an organisation - can be traced back to a chasm in management policy and practice. Data has been gathered from 12 major airlines in Australiasia and South East Asia. From it we are identifying cultural characteristics that reflect companies' resilience to accidents..."

I hope these academics have spoken to a diverse cross section of the QF workforce....

Most QF pilots are afraid to post on their own chat site - Qrewroom....for fear of retribution!!....so I seriously doubt whether the 'reporting culture' characteristic of QF presently is as 'open' as it might otherwise be....

QF management continue to create new and widening 'chasms' everyday....