PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wise counsel before first solo.
View Single Post
Old 17th Apr 2006, 23:28
runway16

Received 43 Likes on 16 Posts
To send a student solo for the first time!

My technique is to ensure that the student can do at least three acceptable circuits in a row. The circuits may not be brilliant but they have to be safe with good decision making ability displayed.
I never tell them that they are coming up to the first solo but at the same time I ensure that the paperwork, the licence, medical and pre-solo air leg are out of the way.
I often the use the wearing of sunglasss to decrease the contact between the instructor and the student therefore making him/her more on their own to make control decisions in the pre-solo flight session. I also cut the conversation to a minimum.

I usually just tell the student 'OK, lets make this a full stop' and then when we are about to taxi back to tie down I get them to steer into the runup bay and say ' now you are going to go solo'.

I check the weather and go over the landing speed and the engine out glide speed. I remind them that the aircraft will handle slightly differently without my weight on board and to plan a longer final or use more/earlier flaps as a result. I remind them that they get more marks for going around than to make a muss of a bad approach or landing. I tell the tower that the student is going for a first solo. I remind the student that if they get a problem taxying around to call the tower for taxi guidence. At this stage the student has a lot on his mind and mental overload is not uncommon.
I tell them to do just one circuit and after landing to pick me up at the windsock.

I then tell the student to have a good flight and that after I have vacated the machine I will look it over before giving them the nod to taxi away.

I then walk off to the windsock and pay scant attention to the student as they taxy away to let them know that I have faith in them to do a good job and that to me they are just another student that I have brought up to a safe solo standard.

Additional comment welcome from other instructors.