PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 17th Apr 2006, 19:55
tucumseh

Received 172 Likes on 65 Posts
John Purdey

You query the possibility of a technical failure (or malfunction) and say… “the crew were not where they thought they were, and thus faced a hillside about 500 feet higher than they expected”.

While I would never claim that navigation error was the cause (and there is human error based on accurate nav data, and error caused by – perhaps intermittent or temporarily inaccurate - data), clearly such an error MAY have had a bearing. I believe some here only think of the former (human error) while ignoring the latter. That is, they equate “error” with negligence. Was there scope for Nav error? The AAIB reported design defects in the Rad Alt, and the concerns over the accuracy of TANS have been well aired here. Perhaps a pilot or navigator would confirm that incorrect nav data, for whatever reason, could result in “the crew were not where they thought they were, and thus faced a hillside about 500 feet higher than they expected”. My point has always been, given the MoD’s own acknowledgement of Nav system defects, this constitutes reasonable doubt, when the criterion for finding gross negligence is “beyond doubt”. “Our side” should only have to demonstrate ANY doubt (the higher requirement of “reasonable doubt” is not required) whereas MoD must prove negligence beyond all doubt. This basic concept has been ignored all along.

You say I am on dangerous ground opining that the MoD has something to hide. This sounds remarkably like the warnings issued by senior staffs when a junior looks like departing from the party line by telling the truth. (At which point one tables the tape recorder!! Or better still, a digital recorder, as they are less susceptible to mic jammers. Sir Ian Blair wasn't the first, by any means). Some of their responses are arrant nonsense, and others are completely unrelated to the question. Why, if there is nothing to hide?

No, I don’t take offence. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Mine is that there is reasonable doubt, the pilots should be cleared, and the MoD is very nervous that it cannot withstand scrutiny as regards the processes and procedures employed during the introduction of the Mk2. And yes, you are correct about politicians. Their willingness to deceive rather proves my point.